Tuesday, May 25, 2010

teddy

in GP lesson today we had this fascinationg video screened, on the SixthSense thingy. which is extremely scary, personally, to see how fast the world is evolving.
if you have time, watch it, wise 9 mins spent. good for science and technology GP knowledge too.

and so i went to ted.com to click on some talks
partly cause i have to do 2 CSQs and wth, 2 at one go? sorry.

Ken Robinson says schools kill creativity.

you know the scene when Jesus was born, and 3 people came bearing gifts?
children were acting it out in a play, and ken robinson relates the incident.

"The first boy said, "I bring you gold."
The second boy said, "I bring you myrhh."
And the third boy said, "Frank sent this."

What these things have in common is that kids will take a chance. If they don't know, they'll have a go. Am I right? They're not frightened of being wrong.

I don't mean to say that being wrong is the same thing as being creative.

What we do know is, if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original. If you're not prepared to be wrong. And by the time they get to be adults, most kids have lost that capacity. They have become frightened of being wrong.

And we run our companies like this, by the way, we stigmatize mistakes.

And we're now running national education systems where mistakes are the worst thing you can make.

And the result is, we are educating people out of their creative capacities.
___

Suddenly degrees aren't worth anything. Isn't that true? When I was a student, if you had a degree, you had a job. If you didn't have a job it's because you didn't want one. And I didn't want one, frankly.

But now kids with degrees are often heading home to carry on playing video games, because you need an MA where the previous job required a BA, and now you need a PhD for the other. It's a process of academic inflation."

sighs.

No comments:

Post a Comment