Wednesday, March 9, 2011

inspire

the day after results came out, we were eggcited about elis and ashley chew on the cover of the papers, and I also found out about chuan kai, the boy who fractured both elbows the day before his math paper. which was like the one of the first few papers (second for me), yet he managed to get straight As, with the the exception of a B from his first paper (before breaking his elbows).
I found it terrible amazing, the human will and might. he sat through the A levels without a scribe, surviving on heavy dosages of painkillers. 
fractured both elbows, mind you. 
the limb he uses to write, to study too.  


this other boy who got straight As was also struggling through his As. 
his mother passed away in jan, as she decided to stop chemotherapy. 
 I can't imagine how that might have been. 
devoting your time between studying and spending your last moments with your mother..
his straight As were for his mum, yet she wasn't around for it. 
I'm sure his mum must be proud though, of such a strong boy. 
he wanted to study law, but decided on medicine instead, inspired by the doctor who took care of his family during the.. difficult times. 
he said something like "she was more than a doctor, she was a friend". 

aside from how these two stories left a deep impression upon me, I began to think that in some exceptional cases, difficulties make us strive harder. 
in ways and reasons more than one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment