I recently
completed a presentation, and soon to complete a report on the ‘recipients’ of
care. We linked it closely to the idea of volunteer tourism, which we used an
existing aggregating term ‘voluntourism’, with the volunteers being called ‘voluntourists’.
Just read through the entire list of themes and realized that there will come
another group who concentrates on volunteer tourism, and that these are in fact
different focuses.
Anyhoo, our
presentation was to construct a question based on the theme and our question
provided a picture of a ‘White” volountourist surrounded by her ‘recipients’ of
care. We aimed to question how the advertisement reinforced the power
structures between the ‘White’ and the ‘non-White’, as well as problematizing
the term ‘recipients’ of care. It’s something we take for granted, that we
volunteer, and that we give care to the Others (here used in a way which
signifies you distance yourselves from the Other, thus creating the divide between who ‘we’ are and who ‘they’
are.
But are we
really that different?
The political
answer is no, we are all the same. I think, yes. Yes, why? I won’t go deeper
than to say the following. I defend myself and say that it’s not the colour of
our skin. After all, in the dichotomous global North and global South, the
First World and the Third World, I, a Singaporean Chinese, the privileged
educated female, belong to the global South, the Third World. Yes, me! The Chinese,
(dominant group) in Singapore (one of the most expensive cities to live in
*rolls eyes, so much contention*), educated (good, yes?) female (no good). All these
intersecting factors fade into the background of the Anglo-centric definition
of the ‘haves’ and ‘have-nots’. Where do I put myself then? In the Third World
with my fellow Southeast Asian people? Or do I stick to Asia? How about the
global South? But I’m educated, and kinda not living in poverty.. I speak
English as my first language. And am in a position to go and travel and be a
voluntourist. From the above, I should be a ‘recipient’ of care, but me, going
to give care? Can’t be right, can it. So yes, we are different. We are all different, and these differences are
so vast one cannot begin to imagine the inexhaustible task of individuating
everyone based on their intersectionalities, their multiple identities and
positions. That’s why we are groups together, for ease, into the North and
South. And from there we claim sameness to begin our task of the geographies of
responsibilities.
I digressed too
much.
The group doing
on the volountourism asked this question “Volunteer tourism does more harm than
good. Discuss”.
What my group
did made me think about the intentions and goals of voluntourism. Like many ‘good’
things we volunteer to do, it is mostly with good intentions to help. Help who?
Ourselves? To fulfil some inner altruistic need, to ‘experience’, to grow and
be a better person, to fuly appreciate the life we have when seeing what others
are lacking (and still being contented), the list goes on. How often does one
help expecting absolutely nothing but the
development of these strangers in return? Are you sure they want it?
We grew up faced
with these advertisements reinforcing power structures every day. We are told
we have the power to help, the
ability to afford it. We all have more than we need, and we can change someone’s
life by giving them some of our extras! Yes, it is all good and honest, but it
does create the geographical imagination of the poor distant other. Something you
are not. You are different, and you can help.
They give us
care too. They help us assimilate into their environment, they cook our meals,
they guide us, and very so often we as young students go there to offer our
labour, we know shit about the actual labour they do. Yes yes I’m assuming the
persona of the “us” against the “them”. Why? Even though I am in the global
South, I’ve never been one whom voluntourist ‘help’, but I’ll be one of the
voluntourist who go out to other countries to ‘help’.
All these
useless words, I meant to conclude with how I was thinking if I were in the
position of the advertiser, how will I go about giving care? I certainly cannot
do it alone, and in trying to reach out to other people, will I actually them
to help others for nothing in return?
Comparing a “get
ready for a life-changing experience, see how the children from Chiang Mai live
their lives and help them learn English to get better job opportunities!” as
compared to “children in Chiang Mai may be content with what they have, but
most probably not, we don’t know. They can improve their living conditions if
they have better job opportunities, so we try to teach them English, to force
them to conform to the Anglo-centric world and cater to these tourist. Interact
with them and make them feel happy, but when you leave they may be heartbroken.
Besides, 3 weeks of learning English will never make any real impact. Repeated
doings will just break these children. But still, come, because we might be
able to contribute, somehow”.
I’m so tired,
sigh. Not a good week, thesis thinking not going faithfully.
No comments:
Post a Comment