Sunday, May 25, 2014

night one

so i'm doing my purchase requests on my surface (my mum's like, your surface? i'm like "my tablet la, people can say my ipad I say my surface can not") while these two other guys in my dormitory are talking about their travels, I think they just met but they get along pretty well (unlike me and uhm, them).

E "so this taxi driver was telling me how the average monthly wage is 6000baht, that's a little more than 200baht a day, it's nothing"
H "yeah, it's nothing. 200baht a day is.. 7 AUD, it's what I make in 20 minutes"

they weren't being condescending, they just agreed how there is such a disparity in income between Thailand and Europe (they're from Estonia and the Netherlands), talking about bargaining and stuff.

well I guess even if I don't take part in these conversations, overhearing them is probably just as interesting.

E "hold on a moment I go wash my dick" hahahahahaha yahp yahp confirms it.

so i'm back in Bangkok! and as Van says, we flew right into the coup haha with all the dangers around, well, idk, I think I oughta be scared but then.. I can't wait to eat, even though I don't really know what to do on my own. hmm.

H "sometimes when you don't know what to do we just go to 7-11 for the aircon"
PREACH IT.

E "it's fucked up today I saw this really pretty Thai women with a fucking FAT bastard, that's pathetic man, that's fucked up, your life ends to this point where you have to come to Thailand to pay money to rape her, well not rape her, he was just talking to her rar rar rar rar, her face was like, she doesn't give a shit"

I was actually typing this as he said it haha but I can't phrase it any better, and quotes always seem more interesting.

H "for them it's also a way of making money"
E "rather me than some old fucking pervert"
H "i'd pay for company but not for sex"
E "well company comes with sex. ........... two years ago I would say the same, in Thailand it's part of the culture"
H "i think lots of them also do it for company, "
E "yeah but if you're old you can't do a young girl, right now we are both young, if you're 50 and you take a young teen, it's fucked up, it's fucked up"
H "it's a crazy world"
E "someways in Thailand, prostitution is accepted"
H "in Holland it's legal as well, it's good that it's legal"
E "does the girl have free will to do it, if it's dodgy business you know, you see her face, in Thailand it's part of culture, goes back thousands of years, the career being a teacher, a doctor, a.."
H "like in Rome, one of the oldest jobs in the world- farming and prostitution"
E " blah blah free will"
H " blah blah grey area"
E " it's not a big deal, it's just another job, you don't know, it's a grey area"

yes I was recording it as they were talking- what? it's a fantastically fascinating conversation about sex work and sex trafficking that I have learnt over the semester, and this is gold.
I think i'll stop recording their words but it's just so interesting.

all quotations are not from my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment